Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Second Half of 2008

The first half wasn't half bad. Heck, I'd go so far as to say it was fantastic. It started off with a partial request from a major publishing house and it flowed into finishing TWO manuscripts (now three with the completions of Vietnam Story; and yes, that is now down from the Google Group) and meeting a whole bunch of truly amazing people--both writers and readers and just . . . people. Yes, some personal things I had to deal with, but right now, this very second, I don't think I've ever been as content. And the good news isn't really directly related to me. Two of my good friends . . . friends who knew me before I was ever a writer, have amazing things going on in their lives, and that just makes me so happy for them.

Then, come to find out that I'm in the Harvard University Library System--once for my thesis, and once for Being Plumville. Um. Holla. I'm going to start calling Being Plumville "the little self-published book that could", because it's certainly gone above and beyond any expectation I could've possibly had for it Sales-wise, it's doing pretty much as expected--but the reception I've gotten for it . . . just wow, and just thank you. And now I get to go back to my high school to tell the chirens to start reading and keep reading; to start writing and keep writing. What? Lord, didn't I just LEAVE that place? The liaison at the school keeps telling me everyone speaks so highly of me there. Um, okay? Not that that's a bad thing, but many of the teachers I had when I was there don't work there anymore . . . but my friends have to remind me that as a young, black woman who went to Harvard and is now a published author . . . that's a big deal. Sometimes you need that outside perspective, because things that aren't humdrum can seem to be when it's happening to you; that just because things are expected doesn't mean they aren't exceptional. Nevertheless, I hope I can live up to the hype!

I should have the release of my short story The Coach's Counselor at some point probably during the summer, maybe around August.

I hope the second half of '08 is more glorious than the first for everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.