Friday, May 09, 2008

RWA, Reviews, and Accolades

1.) I totally had a RWA Chapter conference 2 weeks before my RSJ experience. I TOTALLY had a worthwhile time there too. I met Suzanne Brockmann, and she's amazing. In fact, my chapter is pretty darn amazin (holla, New England). I had a great pitch with an agent there, and the other authors there were more than willing to chat with me and give me advice. I felt a little fish out of water because, unlike RSJ, I was practically integrating the place racially, and I was among the youngest as well. Not only that, outside of Ms. Brockmann, I was pretty much the only person there writing multicultural romance, emphasis on interracial. I'm glad I had that conference before RSJ, though. It forced me to say and claim what I wrote; to not be ashamed or timid about it. It also helped me not be intimidated, because my chapter is fully of Harlequin/Kensington/Dorchester/Avon/St. Martin's Press/Ellora's Cave, etc writers. And here I am--iUniverse and Lulu Press. But you know what? For many of them it took YEARS to get to those houses and they started later in life. I'm not in bad shape at all.

2.) So here's the thing. What I'm about to blog about are weeks old--some even months old. However, if you know (of) me, I have a tendency to hoard good news. I'm working on it. But I think if I put it in the universe, it'll be stripped away from me somehow. Don't ask me why, I think it's a self-defense mechanism. But the RSJ has helped me realize it's okay to share good news. Good people will genuinely be happy for you. It's not conceit, or selfishness, or bravado. If you're good, don't dim your light for anyone else.

3.) Ergo, without further ado . . .

Romance Junkies gives Being Plumville 4.5/5 stars
:

The characters and plotline are fully developed and feel like the real world with real people. I made an emotional connection to Ben and Coralee and felt their love and pain in equal measure. The obstacles these two admirable individuals must overcome are realistically presented, making me feel like I was right there beside them all the way. Author Savannah Frierson captures the essence of Southern rules and bigotry with flair; she made me recall what it was like as a child growing up in the South. Full of tension and tenderness, racial tension and romance, author Savannah J. Frierson captures the essence of a turbulent time in our nation’s history. BEING PLUMVILLE is a novel I plan to purchase for several friends.

By Romance Junkies Reviewer: Scarlet


And thank you to everyone who voted in the 2007 SORMAG READERS' CHOICE AWARDS.

The Best Multi-Cultural Self Published Book Of The Year

Being Plumville

The Best Multi-Cultural Self Published Author Of The Year

TIE

Sylvia Hubbard

Ann Clay

Savannah Frierson


The Best Multi-Cultural New Self Published Author Of The Year

Savannah Frierson

I think that's it for now. Oh, and keep your fingers crossed. I'm sending off manuscripts to folks this week. Also, thanks for your patience with Vietnam Story. It's not languishing, I promise.

No comments: