Thursday, April 28, 2011

Romance Slam Jam 2011 - The Beginning

I’d entertained the idea of doing audio posts; but the glitch I found was uploading the files to create podcasts. I’ll table that idea for now and I just write them out the semi old–fashioned way for the time being. The trip to Baltimore for the Romance Slam Jam started off…challenging. First of all, it was the first real day of ToM (men, ask the women in your life what that is), which means I was already miserable. And then, found out my original departure of 9:50pm on Tuesday was pushed back to 10:30pm…then 11:45pm…then 12:15am…and I didn’t get on the train until 12:40am on Wednesday. Bless my coworker and her husband’s hearts, the folks who’d offered to drop me at the train station. They hung around until 11pm and told me to text them as soon as I arrived to the hotel…which didn’t occur until about 11:30 or so that morning. Yet considering I wasn’t supposed to get to the hotel until 10-something anyway, that wasn’t so bad. Just, the principle of the thing to wait that long at the train station AND miss my initial connecting train. That was unnecessary stress on one of the worst days of the month for me. But I made it!

And I napped. People, I don’t nap, but I needed to yesterday; otherwise, I would’ve been no good to anyone. I’m just glad I do have a room to myself; I could relax in a way that I wouldn’t have been able to do so with one.

I ate lunch alone and then sat at a table with fellow RSJ people because they’d walked in just as I was finished. Went down to dinner alone and ended up eating with a large group of authors who’ve taken me under their wings a bit. I’m among the youngest authors here, if not the youngest. Per usual. They keep teasing me about my youth here, but it’s all good. I’m always eager to learn from those who’ve been in the game longer and are being successful at it I’m far more settled this third go round than I was when I first came to the RSJ in 2008. I was a nervous wreck then; now I have more ownership over my space in the writing circle.

According to the schedule, I’m the only person in my reader’s session; however, I think that’s going to change considering the other session has three people in it. Either I’ll join them or one will join me. Or I’ll just sit in the other one, because that reader’s session features one of my mentors!

Nevertheless, I’m going to will a great RSJ 2011 into the universe, and maybe I’ll get a bit of writing done along the way. I tend to have good luck with that, considering I’d written the majority of Trolling Nights at the 2008 iteration of it.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: