Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reverb: Day 14 - Appreciate

December 14Appreciate.
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (Author: Victoria Klein)

Myself. I didn't really do that for a long time. I took myself for granted, psyched myself out into thinking I didn't really matter to much of anyone in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I "know" my family did, but many times I felt like I was a failure to them, a burden, and that wasn't a cool feeling. And as for my friends, I truly didn't think I mattered to them. It wouldn't matter if I didn't show up to an event or not because I wouldn't be missed. But then, in the first few weeks of February I told myself to stop that foolishness. Shut up those toxic voices in your mind and pull the wool from your eyes. And that was a hard thing to do. Many tears were shed; many tears are still being shed, but that journey to appreciating myself has been the best thing I've done for me. That if I matter to no one else in the world, I need to matter to myself. I need to appreciate myself. And how I am to express this attitude is being as open and giving of myself as I can instead of being closed and inaccessible.

No comments: