Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One Day, Some Day, Today: January 20, 2009

I have not cried once today. My smile has been permanent on my face. Even did the running man in the privacy of my own home lol. I'm a blessed young woman to bear witness to this, knowing that those who came before me fought, bled, lived, died, sang, laughed, cried, toiled, cussed, stood up, sat down, marched, carpooled, prayed, hoped...that someone would see this someday.





Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

~From "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou

The son of a voluntary African immigrant moves into a house built over two hundred years ago by involuntary African immigrants who are the collective ancestors of his wife and daughters.

Well done, America, well done.

No comments: